Digital badges are online emblems of skills achieved. Earning an Earthdreamer Level 3 badge requires learning, practicing, and mastering a set of capacities for tracing intertwining roots of selfhood, family, ancestry, and place. All levels include passing along the skills and ideas acquired to other learners.
level 3 skills
- Conduct a deep place analysis of a specific geographical location: not only physical and geological features and infrastructure, but history, culture, and interior influence.
- Assemble a legacygram: a chart of influences of literal or psychological ancestors and family members in relation to where they came from.
- Chart family-of-origin archetypes, stories, and mythic motifs.
- Apply a CAS (complex adaptive system) lens to a local home, work, or neighborhood situation, a national crisis, or a current event.
- Investigate and report on a nearby environmental justice issue and suggest three interventions.
- Expand your legacygram to include stories and images from places you have lived, influential family and ancestral legacies, justice concerns and questions, and a “so what” about why all this matters.
- Deep, multileveled knowledge of where (and how) we are right now
- Appreciation of our intimate embeddedness in locale
- Consciousness of formerly unconscious family and ancestral legacies and myths
- Skills for studying our “personal myth” (story behind our story)
- Practice researching and reporting on environmental justice situations
- Enhanced understanding of positionality and privilege
- Tools and ideas for presenting underlying themes binding together place, self, culture, story, and ancestry.
….is “dreaming” in these senses:
- Exploring how our night dreams reflect living presences all around us;
- Reenchanting our relations with ourselves, each other, and the world;
- Playing with the idea of the things around us “dreaming” with us;
- Imagining together to dream up a just and Earth-honoring future;
- Turning these dreams into realities we can all delight to live in.
the big picture:
really living HERE
Wealth, laws, and technology by themselves cannot bring about a new way of being here on Earth with each other. For that we need new stories and skills for coming home to our sentient and still-beautiful homeworld.
“Shall I not have intelligence with the earth? Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself?”
— Henry David Thoreau